Friday, May 9, 2008

Plastic bottles

With all the hype in the last month about plastic bottles, I wanted to throw my two cents in the pot.

Sigg bottles from Switzerland is going to make a killing on this, because they are the best but expensive alternative to Lexan(no7) Nalgene bottles. I just bought one to replace my Nalgene, and it is good enough for now.

Other aluminum bottle companies can also make huge inroads here, if they take advantage of the current plastic phobias that are running wild. Kleen Kantene is one competitor in the market, maybe its time to have more competition? Some US based manufacturers?

Nalgene's soft plastic bottles that were not victim of this scrutiny suck. I've used them for years, and they make the water taste gross, just like a leeching plastic bottle would. I don't think this is a good route going forward either.

Maybe bio-plastics, or other substances could be made into bottles? Plastics engineers get yo shit together. I (maybe we) need something new, so I can be free of plastic paranoia.

Do the permaculture + organic types have any thoughts on this?

Update: 5-16-08: I purchased a Sigg bottle and a Camel Back BPA free bottle. Both are nice. Nalgene has responded very responsibly to the problem. You can check it out here. They clarify a few things that help in regards to this problem. http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/

5 comments:

stupid rick flair said...

ive been drinking out of the same nalgene for 5 years everyday, oops.

time for a new bottle

Jmo said...

People at work, even the not so health conscious ones were harassing me constantly about the bottles. Others would then come up to me and ask whats so bad about them.

I eventually boiled it down to "they make you sterile or gay". Pretty funny to me, but there is at least an ounce of truth to it, because the BPH(a?) emulates estrogen, and causes the human body to do things at a more feminine pace. This leads to less Alpha type behavior, and more passive behavior.

Your less of a hunter, and more of a nurturer.....

Hope that ramble wasn't too intense...

stupid rick flair said...

also im now a full b cup

not complaining.

Kevin said...

i'll be drinking from carbon fiber in '09

WORLDWIDE

Jmo said...

can NH handle production of carbon fibre bottles? If so, i think its a great idea. CF and bamboo water bottles.